Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Take a moment & enjoy the walk~

I guess I have been "broke" so long and just kind of go along with it, I didn't realize that I enjoyed walking so much. For those that don't know, I have had arthritis since I was 15 yrs old. In my early 30's I started having to have things replaced. First my right hip later on I had my right knee, my right wrist and my left hip and just recently I had my left foot worked on. After I had the left food fixed, I really started to walk a lot more. I really enjoyed it. By walking more, I mean, not hurting as I usually do, I can go through walmart (not wearing my pajamas, mind you) and not have to lean on the cart for support. I could walk with my back straight and NO butt crack showing, but then I never had butt crack showing! I guess I just have to march to the beat of my own drum, not like all of the people we usually get to see at wally world. Anyway.. So my foot is finally healing and I am boogieing around all over the place, standing up straight and enjoying my M-O-B-I-L-I-T-Y!!! Look at her go!!, that is why my guys yell ~ Look At Her Go! So I am enjoying my new found freedom and then my knee starts going out. Not all of the time at first, then more and more, just enough to ruin my new found freedom and fun. I finally go to see my wonderful orthopedic doctor, the fabulous Dr. Houle He is the MAN! So the fabulous Dr. Houle told me, after the usual xray wait, then the in-room wait,  told me that I can have an expedition of the knee to take out some floaters or have it replaced, because I do have bone on bone going there and will need a replacement soon anyway. I opted for option B.. let's get this bad boy replaced and get me back to standing straight behind that walmart cart! February is the big month.. the end of February is when I will get the new knee. I can walk tall and proud, maybe even skip a little. I think a 5k is out of the question, but then it would have been out of the question anyway. I like to walk, but 5k, that wasn't going to happen even if I wasn't gimped up. Ever. Now swing dance, I would have done that, 5k no way! So my thought process that started this whole thread is, isn't it amazing how you don't realize how much you love to do something, until it is given back to you. You get so used to, being without it that it becomes the norm.  I really love to walk.. when it is nice enough outside and there is the sun and a breeze. When snow flurries are coming down and I am bundled into a coat Even when it is raining and I can go out and dance around in the rain.. I enjoy to walk. So, sit back and think about some of the things you take for granted, the things that you expect to be working all of the time.. go out and enjoy a walk~

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya sister! I used to love to work out...then I got sick & my lungs just couldn't handle it. The last 5 years I've been taking baby steps doing the treadmill just a couple times a week for 10 min. 2012 I'm gonna own that bitch...I'm walking 20 minutes everyday now....and LOVING IT! Walk on sister! xoxo Holly!

    ReplyDelete